A note on Addison's Walk

Addison's Walk (originally called Water Walk) is a picturesque footpath around a small island in the River Cherwell in the grounds of Magdalen College, Oxford, England. There are good views of Magdalen Tower and Magdalen Bridge from along the walk.

The Walk is named after Joseph Addison (1672–1719), a Fellow of the College from 1698 to 1711, who enjoyed walking there and wrote articles in The Spectator about landscape gardening. The path most likely dates from the 16th century, although the name "Addison's Walk" has only been in use since the 19th century. Addison's Walk originally finished at Dover Pier, an old Civil War gun position on the River Cherwell. It was made into a circular walk in the 19th century.

3 comments:

Emmy said...

Looks very pretty :)

Arborfield said...

Hi Emmy... that's not the point really, but yes, it is. If you are in Oxford at all you must visit and walk there. Watch for my next post... again it will be on 'Addison's Walk'...

Emmy said...

I do hope to come to England someday, and if/when I do, this will be on my list of places to go to. I love places that have some sort of history behind them. Sorry if I made it look like I was missing the point, but I did want to comment on how picturesque the photograph was :)